These are so yum!
Make up your favorite brownie recipe and pour it into a brownie pan. Crumble 12 Cool mint oreos and layer over batter (This will be layer 1.)
Make up a Marshmellow mixture using Marshallow Fluff, peppermint extract, and green food coloring (Sorry no measurements, This was sent in by a viewer.) Swirl half of the mixture though the brownie batter along with the crumbled oreos.
To say this green mixture is “pretty good” is an understatement: white chocolate chips + buttercream frosting + Marshmallow Fluff + peppermint extract = Dive In and Don’t Come Up For Air.
I would like to have this stuff on hand for mental health days because a spoonful of it is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Rich, sweet, decadent, minty, yet still fluffy.
While the brownies were baking I made the next layer (Layer 2):
melted white chocolate chips
made a batch of buttercream frosting
combined the white chocolate chips + buttercream frosting + the remaining half of the green minty marshmallow mixture
After spreading the Green Goddess over the cooled brownies and because there wasn’t enough going on already, I crumbled a dozen and a half more Cool Mint Oreos over the top (Layer 3)
(Here is the complete recipe below)
Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies
Makes 24 brownies
one 7-ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff
1/8 teaspoon mint extract*
8 drops+ green food coloring, or until desired shade of green is reached
1 batch of brownies – see ingredients below in step 2 (or use 1 box of brownie mix – make according to directions on the box by adding the water, oil, eggs)
3/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
1 cup vanilla frosting – see ingredients below in step 4 (or use 1 cup storebought vanilla frosting; use the entire plastic container if you want a thicker final green layer)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir together marshmallow fluff, mint extract* (be very careful and do not use more than this unless you love mint; a little bit of mint goes a very long way), 4 drops of food coloring, or until light green is achieved (known now as ‘green minty marshmallow mixture’)
2. In a large bowl, prepare the brownie mix as directed on box, using water, oil, eggs, and fold in 12 hand-crumbled Oreos at the end.
or make brownies from scratch (based on my Fudgy Nutella Brownies):
4 ounces baking chocolate (I used 9 squares of TJ’s 72% chocolate bar or use 4 squares Baker’s Chocolate, semi-sweet)
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons espresso or brewed coffee, optional
1 cup all-purpose flour
12 Cool Mint Oreo Cookies, crumbled
Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave-safe bowl for 90 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar (it will seem very granular, this is okay). Stir in eggs and vanilla. If adding espresso or coffee, add it now. Stir in flour until just combined, do not overmix. Hand-crumble Oreos over the bowl and fold them in.
3. Spread brownie batter in prepared pan. Drop about 1/2 cup of green minty marshmallow mixture onto brownie batter and reserve the remainder. Gently pull a table knife through the batter in S-shaped curves for a swirled design. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until brownies are set, taking care not to overbake. (Some people’s ovens and taste preferences may require 25-30 minutes, bake until brownies are done and to your liking) Cool completely, about 1 hour, or put the pan into the freezer for 10 minutes if you’re rushed.
4. While brownies are cooling, make vanilla frosting by combining the following and beating until fluffy (or use 1 cup storebought vanilla frosting – or use entire can if you want a thicker final green layer) and set finished frosting aside.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
splash of milk, if necessary for consistency
5. In another small microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips (microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir and microwave 30 seconds longer; stir until smooth, taking care not to scorch it as white chocolate scorches easily). Add the melted white chocolate chips and the vanilla frosting to the reserved green minty marshmallow mixture. Stir in 4 drops+ food coloring, or until light green color is reached, and spread over cooled brownies. Sprinkle with 18 hand-crumbled Oreo Cookies, slightly pressing them into the green mixture. Allow top layer to set fully before slicing and serving. I prefer these bars chilled and I store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container or store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Note: Use regular Oreos if you can’t find Mint Oreos and possibly add a touch more mint extract to the ‘green minty marshmallow mixture’ in Step 1 if desired.
Yes I know this takes quite a few steps but it is worth it!
Thanks Lora B. For sending this in. Send in your ideas and recipes at homehelpingBLOG@gmail.com or by tweeting us.
Don’t forget to enter for our name contest. Go to the ‘Name Contest’ Page for more details.
Follow us on twitter @homehelping.